Tuesday, November 11, 2008

get your new world order commemorative glocks


I hate guns. I think people who own them are insane. I hate that America has in its official arbitrary law set the RIGHT to own a gun.

I'm an idiot.

I, like many anti-gun lobbyists, always misread this aspect of the American constitution. I always thought it gave the citizen the right to bear arms, i.e. to wild-west-style shoot showever the fuck neighbour it wants at its liberty. That was always my feeble argument, "Americans are no longer in the Wild West."





But the second amendment isn't about gung-ho gunnery on the streets (even though that's what it's become in Driveby USA), the second amendment is to protect THE PEOPLE from the actions of its own government. Or that's an interpretation that many Americans who've 'tooled up' since the election of the new President have been citing, and not just Joe Public:

...at least one Congressman is warning of things to come. Rep. Paul Broun of Georgia has told the Associated Press he considers Obama a dangerous Marxist who may act on his promise to organize a domestic national security force on par with the U.S. military. “That’s exactly what Hitler did in Nazi Germany and it’s exactly what the Soviet Union did,” Broun said. “When he’s proposing to have a national security force that’s answering to him, that is as strong as the U.S. military, he’s showing me signs of being Marxist.”



It's sad that gun ownership (and the thousands of annual deaths that result from its mis-use in USA and more increasingly in UK) is necessary survival equipment to protect ourselves from those people we have voted into office. I certainly didn't vote in my party leaders so that my life would be in danger. 'To serve and to protect' all governments (i.e. public owned office) should adopt that as a slogan. To serve. To protect.

No comments: