Friday, June 26, 2009

Honda Asimo Robot

every now and then I'll feature the latest in robotics on this blog. I've been following the progress of the Honda Asimo Robot for the last few years and, here in this 2009 demonstration of the running, trolley pushing and tray carrying ability of the latest refit, I have to say I'm starting to get a little wary of the future.



the other thing that dawned on me about robots is, they don't need knees. What I mean by this is they don't need a FORWARD silhouette. They don't need to TURN AROUND to go forwards and backwards, just spin the head (or have a forward/backward-sensored head) and refix the knees/elbows. That would look truly horrific, alien.

All's Honda's Asimo Robot is missing now is some decent human motion capture driving the actuators and very quickly we'll be looking at this level of robotic locomotion:



Okay, that was a totally melodramatic example, let's just bump back down to earth and display the human-robot interface as described by Raytheon's Sarcos exoskeletal war frame.



Scared yet? You fucking should be.

No comments: