Thursday, October 01, 2009

Amazon - 5-star reader reviews - Steve

I've only just found these book reviews of my July 14 2008 novels Bukkakeworld and Planet of the Owls on Amazon so I'd like to a) thank reader "Steve" for his FIVE STAR reviews and b) encourage the readers of this blog to check these books out.

Planet of the Owls
by Mike Philbin
Edition: Paperback
Price: $14.99

***** Steve
Possibly one of the strangest books I've ever read,
August 14, 2009

A very strange and terrifying book.

The nightmarish surrealism is what I love about all of his books. Philbin never fails to deliver the goods when it comes creating fiction that is original and full of creative narrative that explodes with vibrant metaphors and graphic description.

This books is not for those with weak stomachs or those adults with the sensibilities of a four-year old who would get offended at the first sight of human nudity. But keep in mind, there is nothing written in a book that doesn't reflect the real world somehow. I find that horror books are here to remind us that we're in Hell and we better get use to it. Reading horror novels, for me, is a way of confronting insanity on another level. At least you can escape from the nightmares of a book, but the nightmare we call reality, no matter how little we try to make our worlds, we cannot escape from. If you can't confront the nightmares in a book, how are you ever going to confront the real thing when it arrives, bursting through the locked doors of your domestic prison?

So read this book! It'll be good for you!

Who knows, the real apolocalypse may consist of giant birds feasting on human beings and raping them to produce strange hybrids. At least if you read this book, you'll be more prepared for it. And if not, at least you'll find some entertainment in a story well told.

Bukkakeworld
by Mike Philbin
Edition: Paperback
Price: $14.99

***** Steve
A strange, entertaining read,
November 10, 2008

This book was not as predictable as I orginally thought it was going to be, I underestimated the writer when I thought so. There seemed to be no limits as to where this story might go, and it went a lot of places. The writer did not put his imagination on a leash to walk through pages of easily discernable metaphors for corporate abuse. Yes, there's the bukakke shooting down from all directions and the constant degradation, but that's just the setup. The true heart of the story lies in the events that take place within the story. A story so weird and alien, written in an amazing style of prose, it'll be impossible for me to forget.

2 comments:

bonesofchaos333 said...

My reviews are not very professional. I hate writing reviews. I would have avoided writing them but as a fan of your work I felt obligated to combat those you were defaming your work without even reading it.

Although Mercedes Lackey, the supposed author, actually helped builed my confidence as a review writer. I've never been published in anything and yet I can write better reviews than she can. Isn't that amazing? :)

Mike Philbin said...

"Steve"

you know the legend, "Hatred by the masses, revulsion among one's peers." that is the measure of a TRUE horror author's success.

:)