Friday, November 16, 2012

film reviews - Dark Shadows - Cosmopolis

DARK SHADOWS:
director: Tim Burton
starring: Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer and Mrs Tim Burton
as I'm British, I didn't see the original TV series that Dark Shadows is based upon so I have no prejudiced or preconceptions either way but I tell you what, "I really enjoyed every cinematic minute," of this wonderful film. I love the 200 years late vernacular of Depp's Barnabas Collins, and his ever-so-visceral misunderstanding of the era he rises into. The family is fashionably dysfunctional but in the end, blood is thicker than water.



The trailer, while cosy and cutified, doesn't do the UTTER BRUTALITY of Depp's Barnabas Collins character justice. He's properly psychotic, in the way only vampires (and drunken psychiatrists) can be. And the attention to 1970's detail was just mind blowing, even down to the Technicolor film stock palette. And that mansion - I want one! Probably Depp and Burton's best film collaboration to date.

***** that's five stars.

COSMOPOLIS:
director: David Cronenberg
starring: Robert Pattinson and a very long car

A spectre is haunting the world, eh?

trailer first, review tomorrow...



FIVE DAYS LATER UPDATE: well, that was probably the worst film I've seen in, like, a decade. De Lillo + Cronenberg = shit.

* that's one star.

No comments: